[ale] Hellsouth's wonderful email service

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Jul 18 20:23:52 EDT 2004

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 12:58, Chuck Huber wrote:
>
>>Well... The Hellsouth saga will soon be over.
>

> No, it probably won't be.  Soon enough yet another person will want to
> do everything you are attempting to do before they really understand
> what they are doing.  It still amazes me that people are surprised when
> their $40/mon internet connection has restrictions.
>
> I am extremely glad that BellSouth is trying to control spam that
> originates from their DSL customers.  No one behind a Cable/DSL modem
> needs to send email directly to another server.  If you want to run a
> mailserver.... lease a server or get a business IP connection not a home
> user connection.

I've got to disagree with the 'business IP connection.'  With Bellsouth
it's nothing more than a way for them to get more money out of you.  You
keep the same line, they call it a business line and jack the price up.
  You keep the same dsl service, they just jack the price up.

I agree that ISP's should do something about spam, but blanket solutions
never work.  Then again, we all have to stop at traffic lights, even if
there's no one coming the other way...