[ale] Sound weirdness

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche bjorn at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri Jul 9 09:12:26 EDT 2004

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, BruceG wrote:

> Hey all,
>
>       I've got a strange problem going on with the sound on my desktop. My son
> and wife took the desktop apart, moved it, then put it back together again.
> Think it got smacked a few times (had a hard time starting it, constant alarm
> going off). It seems to run fine, now - and I can get sound playing CDs with
> KSCD. I also get sound from the Hauppage TV card. It has a cable connecting
> it to the EnsonIQ1370 card.
>
>       The weirdness comes in when I try to play games, or play music with XMMS
> at Shoutcast. I just get static. No sound at all. I don't think it's a
> hardware problem as the connection between the soundcard and my Boston
> Accoustics soundsystem works fine when playing CDs and TV. I don't know where
> to start looking for a software problem.

Um, you get static or silence? If "static", my guess would be driver or
software endianness issue, which is the most common cause. If silence, I
would guess a hardware issue, although the fact that other sounds are
getting through the card is strange. Perhaps the SC is damaged.

>       Any pointers? KMix shows the sound is up, not muted. XMMS is using the
> Artsd driver four audio output. This one has me beat.

it's worth trying without artsd. artsd always causes me trouble.

	bjorn