[ale] Indian outsourcing

Stephen Touset stephen at touset.org
Thu Jan 29 21:11:08 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 15:11, Dylan Northrup wrote:
> I've done the "sleep in the car because you can't afford an apartment" thing
> when I was in college.  Now that I have a wife and son, that's not an
> option.  You want to let companys send jobs and money out of the country, go
> ahead.  I don't want that to happen and I'll do what I can to prevent it, up
> to and including commenting on academic arguments by disintrested and
> unaffected parties.

You were fine up until the part where you threw in "disinterested and
unaffected parties". In case you didn't notice, I'm in the industry.
Given, I don't have dependents of my own, but I'm still feeling the IT
crunch.

You're perfectly justified in feeling the way that you do. Those
policies are affecting you directly in a negative way, and from your
perspective it's a terrible hardship which needs to be changed. On the
other hand, the rest of America benefits.

I think what's unclear here is that we're both justified in our beliefs.
I'm seeing it from a completely utilitarian perspective, in that some
people may be hurt, while there's an overall improvement, and you're
seeing it from the paradigm of a man who needs to care for his family.
Neither one of us is wrong--we simply have different priorities.

--
Stephen Touset <stephen at touset.org>