[ale] Indian outsourcing

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Thu Jan 29 19:21:18 EST 2004

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 06:14:40PM -0500, Alan Stewart wrote:
> I don't think it's as simple as blaming corporations and government. If
> stockholders (i.e. 401K participants) didn't expect dividends and
> increasing stock values NOW, not ten years from now things might be
> different.

In other words.... if our system were different, things would be
different?

You just underlined the whole principle behind the stock market, not
just 401(k).   Smart investors don't pay any attention to the daily
swings.  They know it's about the long haul.

Ostensibly, stock price is about dividends, or rather what the expected
lifetime earnings of the company are expected to be.  But that's not
what it's about these days -- *share price*.

The entire .com "industry" was built around share price.  That's where
the paper fortunes were made and lost on a daily basis.  It completely
wrecked the idea that one owns stock for the dividends, which are
reasonably regular... but instead, one only makes money if the share
price goes up, better sell it quick!

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                   pizza at f*cktheusers.org
                                                           ICQ #1318444