[ale] Indian outsourcing

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Thu Jan 29 19:19:54 EST 2004

Now, honestly, do you think that just because you own a share of IBM and
want to buy a burger at McDonalds (because that's all you can afford since
you got laid off and you want a job app from there anyway) with *YOUR*
dividend that IBM is going to put things in overdrive ?????  The only folks
who get IBM moving are REALLY REALLY LARGE INVESTORS (and no, they won't
listen to you either), those who run IBM and are paid in stock options /
bonuses linked to the stock price, and government regulators who can take
their money, put folks in jail, and confiscate their stuff.  There are
really very few folks who can make IBM move - and they live on Wall Street,
in DC, and Armonk, NY.

Count me with Paula J ... or as a sig stated:

	"The corporation *cannot* be ethical, its only responsibility is to make a
profit." - Milton Friedman

However, the responsibility for ethical behavior *does* rest with
individuals (kinda scary) and the Justice Dept (aptly named, huh?).  These
*can* make a corporation ethical ... well ... more or less ...  maybe if a
lot of individuals are customers - that helps too ... or those individuals
want to be/stay elected ...

But yes, those who *do count* think in 3 month increments (with the
exception of the government types), unfortunately.  That's what happened
when banks, investment houses, and such started running businesses.

Greg