[ale] Can't get my CDRW drive to burn :-(

J. Cary Howell chowell at xilogix.com
Sat Jan 24 21:41:37 EST 2004

cdrecord is not seeing any compatible burning device.  I think the dead
give-away might be the No CD/DVD-Recorder device specified message.

You might should do the following to double-check me

cdrecord -scanbus

This should return on what scsi bus, target and lun your CDRW is located
on.  If it doesn't (and I'm assuming you are using a IDE CDRW you
probably need to add something like hdd=ide-scsi to your grub
configuration file.  This also assumes that hdd is not a valid IDE
device in your system and that you have SCSI device emmulation enabled
in the kernel.

Finally, cdrecord -scanbus would return output similar to the following
on successfully locating your CDRW--

Cdrecord 2.0 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 J?rg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) 'IOMEGA  ' 'ZIPCD3840INT-A  ' '1.06' Removable
CD-ROM
        1,1,0   101) *
        1,2,0   102) *
        1,3,0   103) *
        1,4,0   104) *
        1,5,0   105) *
        1,6,0   106) *
        1,7,0   107) *

Hope this helps.

Cary

--
J. Cary Howell                                     Phone: (877) 945-6449
Xilogix LLC                                       Direct: (404) 739-9146