[ale] Linux utility to read/convert ClarisWorks files?

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Fri Jan 23 14:55:06 EST 2004

"Michael D. Hirsch" <mhirsch at nubridges.com> writes:

> On Thursday 22 January 2004 11:33 am, Joe Knapka wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I recently moved the family machine from Win98 to Red Hat 8.  Every
> > thing is going well (now that we have a printer that actually works
> > reliably), except for one small snag. My wife has a boatload of Claris
> > Works word-processor docs she created under Windows (using an _o_l_d_
> > version of Claris - I bought it when we were still on Windows 3.0). I
> > naively assumed that OpenOffice would be able to import those files,
> > but that doesn't seem to be the case. I could install Claris on one of
> > the two remaining Windows boxen and convert all those files to RTF
> > using Claris, but sheesh, what a tedious pain in the posterior.
> >
> > So does anyone know of a Linux utility that will convert Claris files
> > to some format intelligible to OpenOffice?  (Using Google, I slammed
> > right into the "there are seventy-gazillion pages that contain at
> > least one of the words in your query" problem...)
>
> I just went through this, except that it was on a Mac.  There is a Mac program
> for doing conversion to MS Word.  I converted on the Mac, then transfered to
> Linux.  Strangely, OO does not read those files correctly, but kword and
> abiword do.
>
> I suspect you'll have more success looking for a windows client than a linux
> client.

Probably so. I can install the version of ClarisWorks with which the
docs were created on my XP box (my version of Claris won't run under
Wine) and convert them all (probably 100 docs) by hand to RTF, but I'd
probably die of boredom after doing thirty of them. Ah well, maybe ten
per day would be safe...

Cheers,

-- Joe

--
(let ((antichrist 'me) (anarchist 'me))) -- the sexp-pistols.
If you really want to get my attention, don't reply to this;