[ale] Linux utility to read/convert ClarisWorks files?

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Fri Jan 23 11:18:42 EST 2004

On Thursday 22 January 2004 11:33 am, Joe Knapka wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I recently moved the family machine from Win98 to Red Hat 8.  Every
> thing is going well (now that we have a printer that actually works
> reliably), except for one small snag. My wife has a boatload of Claris
> Works word-processor docs she created under Windows (using an _o_l_d_
> version of Claris - I bought it when we were still on Windows 3.0). I
> naively assumed that OpenOffice would be able to import those files,
> but that doesn't seem to be the case. I could install Claris on one of
> the two remaining Windows boxen and convert all those files to RTF
> using Claris, but sheesh, what a tedious pain in the posterior.
>
> So does anyone know of a Linux utility that will convert Claris files
> to some format intelligible to OpenOffice?  (Using Google, I slammed
> right into the "there are seventy-gazillion pages that contain at
> least one of the words in your query" problem...)

I just went through this, except that it was on a Mac.  There is a Mac program
for doing conversion to MS Word.  I converted on the Mac, then transfered to
Linux.  Strangely, OO does not read those files correctly, but kword and
abiword do.

I suspect you'll have more success looking for a windows client than a linux
client.

Michael