[ale] Open Source Apps

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Jan 17 09:24:21 EST 2004

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 22:20, Geoffrey wrote:
>

>>You mean we like tweaking our OS and they like reinstalling theirs.
>>
> Nope.  They don't deal with it, they push it off on to some admin in
> their company or back at they bought it from.  I think they call that
> "having a life".  ;)

Makes no sense.  For those folks who have an admin to fix their
Microcrap, this, in most cases is a work situation.  Whether your
computer works or not in such a situation is not going to impact your
home life as it would if it's your home computer as you don't have an
admin to fix it there.

My neighbor spent half the day yesterday recovering data from his
trashed windows 98 computer.  The machine would not boot and this was
not a hardware problem.  In order to recover that data I helped him move
the drive from that machine to another so he could burn the data to cds.
   He's the one I mentioned who's decided to move to Linux. He's tired
of fighting Microsoft lousy products.  He's not a geek.  He's a minister.

Everyone has hobbies.  People go out slapping a little white ball with
sticks until they disappear in the ground, only to take it out and start
all over again.  Over folks can tell you every little detail about some
lame television show.

I personally take offense at a suggestion that I don't have a life just
because I enjoy 'tweaking' my OS.  You are wrong.  I make choices.  I
watch very little television, but I walk my dog and ride my bike.  We
eat out a lot, saves time for my wife and it's still family time.  I
attend all my daughter's school functions.  I've chaperoned a number of
field trips.  I'll be attending the honor roll function this Tuesday.
My quality of life was a whole not better then my neighbors yesterday.

Oh, I have a life, and much more of it because I don't have the problems
my neighbor was having yesterday.  So, because my form of recreation
happens find me in the midst of 7-8 computers or reinstalling the latest
version of SuSE, doesn't mean I don't have a life.  Quite the contrary..

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net