[ale] Deep inside the K Desktop Environment 3.2

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Feb 25 07:51:43 EST 2004

walter Sams wrote:
> Question,  if one is running redhat and gnome desktop, can one just
> remove gnome and put in kde without losing all the setup parameters on
> the system or reinstalling the whole os?  I seem to see many folks here
> and elsewhere liking kde better than gnome and would like to try it.

You can easily switch from one to the other.  I usually install both KDE
and Gnome as there are packages I like in both.

Depending on how you start X, you can toggle between the two.

kdm gives you the option of choosing the session type: Gnome, KDE and
many others, depending on what you have installed.  I think this is the
easiest way to do it.

If you're starting X via startx, then it's a bit more complex, as you'd
have to configure the init files.

Does X start automagically when you boot?