[ale] Linux vs XP Embedded

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Tue Feb 24 10:06:31 EST 2004

Chris Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> writes:

> I think you need to consider some real time extensions to the linux
> kernel. There are a few companies that sell such a product.

I'd really like to use a stock mainline kernel if at all possible.
If it's not possible to do that, XP will probably be the default
choice (due to powers-that-be issues, not my preference).

-- Joe

> On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 02:03, Joe Knapka wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I've been given an interesting realtime control system to build, and
> > my employer wants to evaluate both Linux (woohoo!) and Windows XP
> > Embedded (bummer).  I know some of you have some embedded/realtime
> > experience with Linux, so I'd like your opinions on this subject.  I
> > can't say much about the application itself, except that it will be
> > handling something in the neighborhood of 50Gbytes per day (that's a
> > G) of IP and serial traffic, and must meet hard deadlines on the order
> > of once per second (but a missed deadline won't kill anyone - this is
> > not a medical or aviation application. We can probably even recover
> > from a missed deadline, but that sort of thing should be kept to an
> > absolute minimum).
> >
> > I'm thinking that a 2.6-series kernel would be the way to go with
> > this.  I understand 2.6 integrates the preemptive and low-latency
> > patches, and that 2.6 can be built in a VM-less configuration so as to
> > remove latency associated with demand paging.
> >
> > Does anyone have any further suggestions or alternatives?  Also, is
> > anyone here in a position to evaluate the relative strengths of Linux
> > vs XP Embedded?  Personally I feel that the "Embedded" part of that
> > name is probably pure marketing hype, but I could be wrong.  It is hard
> > to see how Linux could possibly be a *worse* choice then XP in this
> > domain, though.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -- Joe Knapka

Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him;
Someday we will hunt him down and chop him up and eat him!
   -- Annze, age 7
--
If you really want to get my attention, send mail to
jknapka .at. kneuro .dot. net.