[ale] New Toy: Old Zip Drive

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Thu Feb 19 11:10:21 EST 2004

Bjorn -

Thanks for the note.

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Bjorn Dittmer-Roche wrote:

> > On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 09:24:06AM -0500, John Mills wrote:

> > > I want to use in on a Slackware-9.1 laptop. Entering:
> > >  "# insmod parport; insmod ppa" is rewarded with a little buzz of life
> > > from the drive (good news, I assume). What '/dev' file should I mount to
> > > find out if I can find any data on a disk? ("/dev/<something>4" I expect,
> > > if it's like other Zips I've used?)

> dunno about linux, but other Unices often provide this kind of info in
> dmesg. Of course, you still have to kinda guess about partition.

'dmesg' and 'syslog' told me about the success or failure of the module
loads. I didn't see anything about the attached drive there, but might
have if the modules were compiled into the kernel, or loaded before the
discovery process. This didn't seem to be the order it occurred.

Regards.

 - John Mills
   1884 Ridgewood Dr, NE
   Atlanta, GA 30307-1166