[ale] HP NetServer Lxr Pro and Red Hat 9

John Wells jb at devsea.com
Thu Feb 12 17:31:41 EST 2004

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:21:09 -0500
John Wells <jb at devsea.com> wrote:
> It's not there.  Course,  I can probably find the module on the web, and I will take a look.
>
> Since you've done a number of installs for this card, how'd you get around the hang problem?  Reason I ask is that I'd like to go with a later version that Red Hat 8...just downloaded Tao Linux but exact same behavior.
>
> If it were simply a driver problem, it would seem I could get it to prompt me for the driver disk during install, but after typing "linux dd", it still hangs just after decompressing the boot image :(.
>
> Have you seen even remotely similar behavior in your installs for this card

Ok, after searching high and low for the megaraid_2002 module for red hat 8 or 9 kernels, I decided to give Suse 8.1 a try.  Installed without a hitch and is running beautifully.  Strangely enough, an lsmod shows:

sopwith:~ # lsmod | grep megaraid
megaraid 	27583   4

So, it seems that this driver in use is megaraid instead of megaraid_2002.  Odd?

Anyway, I'll use Suse on this box shortterm, but I want to get Tao or a Red Hat-like system on there soon, and I partitioned it accordingly to make the switch easy.

It's interesting that Suse worked, but Red Hat 8, 9 and Tao (or Red Hat AS) wouldn't.  Chalk one up for Suse, I guess :)

Thanks for all the help!