[ale] Smoothwall 2.0 or IPCop 1.3.0?

James Sumners james at sumners.ath.cx
Tue Feb 3 21:54:28 EST 2004

I am considering replacing a Linksys WRT54G with a Linux box. The Linksys is
working fine but it doesn't quite cut it. My question to you is, would you
recommend Smoothwall 2.0 over IPCop 1.3.0 or vice versa? I don't really want to
sit down and write my own firewall scripts and web front end when there is
already a solution.

I know that IPCop is a fork of Smoothwall but it forked a long time ago. I will
be playing with both of them in a virtual environment but it may be some time
before I get that set up and I would like to know if someone already has an
opinion of one over the other (e.g. this one does this where that one doesn't
type stuff).

--

I used to be interested in Windows NT, but the more I see of it the more it
looks like traditional Windows with a stabler kernel. I don't find anything