[ale] On notebooks for Linux (was eMachines AMD64 notebook)

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.net
Mon Feb 2 11:21:25 EST 2004

I recently did the same R&D on 64-bit vs. 32-bit machines, starting with
the VoodooPC group's Optron machine.  While they are nice at first, the
hidden problem is that most of the laptops out there is the 1GB RAM max
limitation.  Why do you ask if this is an issue, because the Optrons can
take 8GB of RAM with the right motherboards.  So with that in mind and
the fact that most machines when maxed out on the RAM run $4k to $5k,
why get something that cannot go to its full potential?

My personal $0.02 if you need a new laptop now (I am prone to favor IBM
ThinkPads since I have Debian and other distros working on mine; even
the 802.11a/b/g as well), look at the R50p series.  Pentium M 1.7GHz,
2GB RAM (max), 60GB 7200rpm HD, 1600x1200 ATI FireGL.  The machine is
nicely cooled too (one downside of AMD's), I have had this beast on my
lap for a few hours with no burn marks. ;-)  Have Knoppix on it at
present, and like I said, have the 802.11a/b/g working (yes, under Linux
too!).

FWIW.

--- Crawford
--