[ale] An Indian perspective on Indian outsourcing

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Feb 2 11:07:58 EST 2004

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:

> On Friday 30 January 2004 08:26 am, Vaidhy Mayilrangam wrote:
> | IT folks in US can sell their services to
> | Indian companies at a comparable rate and get gainfully employed. Yes,
> | it requires that you understand the culture on the other side,
> | understand the problems on the other side and be willing to work with
> | the team.
>

> Nice idea. But there is a "gotcha." Americans hoping to sell their
> services to Indian firms must work a deal so they remain in the U.S.
> Indian firms are not permitted to hire aliens (anyone not born in
> India) to work in India.

This is not true. India, like most countries, requires foreign citizens to
get a work visa to be employed by Indian firms in India. Unless things have
changed relatively recently, though, it's trivial to get one in India -- as
I recall, it just required proof of employment (a letter from an Indian firm
stating that they really had hired you). It was certainly far simpler than,
say, the paperwork that I've had to get to be employed as a US citizen by a
Canadian company in Canada....

later,
chris