[ale] need working dialup

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 22 01:04:08 EST 2004

Mark,
I don't see the send of the login in your log nor the expect/send pair
of the password.  Did you delete them?  If so I understand, however, if
you complete sending the password and get the 52000/ARQ^M line and then
immediately see the next line of what looks like gibberish then that is
the server starting PPP.  Looks like you don't tell pppd to start up
once you get the first frame from the server.  So, modify the chat
script so you have:

expect ogin:
send nsummerour at earthlink.net
expect word:
send yourpassword
expect ~
start ppp (no need for another send)

See the example I found below and the link for it.

If you want to try wvdial again, here is a sample plain vanilla
wvdial.conf script that ought to work for you as well:
dhurst at sword:~> cat /etc/wvdial.conf

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/modem
Baud = 57600
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
Init3 =
Area Code = 678
Phone = 2454201
Username = nsummerour at earthlink.net
Password = ********
Ask Password = 0
Dial Command = ATDT
Stupid Mode = 1
Compuserve = 0
Force Address =
Idle Seconds = 300
DialMessage1 =
DialMessage2 =
ISDN = 0
Auto DNS = 1

Try that as root after putting the password in just for a sanity check.
I am also wondering if you did not actually get the login send item sent
nor the password expect/send pair sent before the server tries to start
PPP.  However, 30 seconds goes by in your log from the expect ogin: til
the first frame of PPP, which would be about right for the chat script
to hang waiting for pppd to start locally before exiting.  Just start
pppd as soon as the first tilde is recognized by the last expect, no
need to send anything else at that point.  According to the O'Reilly
book a tilde is normally seen by the first three frames of PPP data.
Otherwise just starting PPP after a successful login is best.

Here is a sample chat script with your info inserted.  I found this at:
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/s/howto/linux.setup-body.html
You'll have to scroll way down to find the chat script section in that
web page.  I haven't tested this script since I don't have a modem
hooked up to the computer to dial out with now.  I believe it is one
line that wraps so copy each line over separately into your shell to
build out the command line.  Note the placement of the quotes and that
PPP communication starts immediately after providing the password.

exec /usr/sbin/pppd connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v TIMEOUT 5
      ECHO ON '' ATZ OK 'at s7=45 s0=0 l1 v1 x4 &c1 e1 q0' OK
      ATDT*70,1-630-510-8501 ABORT 'NO DIALTONE' ABORT 'NO
      CARRIER' ABORT BUSY
      TIMEOUT 55 ECHO ON CONNECT '' ogin: nsummerour at earthlink.net assword:
      'yourpasswordhere' " -detach crtscts modem defaultroute noipx
      /dev/modem 115200

Might need to manually add the DNS servers for Earthlink to
/etc/resolv.conf.  They are:
itchy.earthlink.net  207.69.188.196
scratchy.earthlink.net  207.69.188.197

You can use the Mac OS-X instructions available below as a guide if you
decide to try out KPPP thru KDE instead.

http://support.earthlink.net/mu/1/psc/img/walkthroughs/other/landingpage/9260.psc.html

Best wishes,
Dow