[ale] need working dialup

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Mon Dec 20 00:07:16 EST 2004

I am not up yet.  I am running out of time and options though.  I
wanted to get this box working for my mom before Christmas.

Since you seem to know a bit more about this let me throw some more
information at you.

I am trying to connect two ways.  First using the network settings
panel on Ubuntu's Gnome desktop I followed an excellent write up by
someone on the Ubuntu web site using pppconfig but still had no
success.  This dialer uses wvdial.

After beating my head against this for a few days I found another great
write up by W.G. Unruh. (nothing to do with Ubuntu)  and I am using a
terminal window to run the show with the following command.

/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS0 57600 debug connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v  ' '
ATZ OK ATDT6782454201 CONNECT '\d\c'"

I under stand most of this (because Unruh explains it).  The notable
part is the use of chat instead of wvdial.  In his instructions he
points out that by watching var/log/ppp I can learn how to modify this
long command to successfully connect.  This command does not contain
any UID or pwd information but it connects just as far and fails just
like the wvdial through the network panel.  The network panel has the
account info in it.  (User and pwd)  I have been assuming that none of
the earthlink account data was getting passed at this point.

Right now since everyone I have talked to has had dial up working in
the past (with older distros) I am thinking about installing mandrake
9.2 or earlier to see if there is something to do with the 2.6 kernel
that doesn't like Earthlink or US Robotics 56 modems.  I did like
Ubuntu's minimal gnome gui.  My mom is using an old Mac and I think the
gnome/Ubuntu look is Mac like and pretty.

Oh well.  Any advise or comments warmly welcomed.

Mark

On Dec 19, 2004, at 9:32 PM, Dow Hurst wrote:

> I meant that you authenticate in the chat script and not during PPP
> negotiation.  Arrrghh!!!  Bad thought process and worse typing here...
>
> In DSL you authenticate during PPP setup and after LCP completes.  In
> dialup you connect, authenticate in the chat script, then autostart
> PPP, or look for a tilde in the next few frames of data from the
> server to "see" that it is trying to start PPP.
>
> I've used the above method with wvdial and the full email address for
> earthlink/mindspring for years.
> Dow
>

> Dow Hurst wrote:
>
>> Did you get it going?  LCP failure is before authentication on DSL
>> but not on dialup since your chat script ought to authenticate you,
>> IIRC.  For Earthlink you have to have your primary email address for
>> the account as the login and the password as the password for that
>> primary email account.   I don't see your login and password expect
>> send pairs.  So your connected but not authenticated  so PPP is
>> ignored at this point.  At least for earthlink, I would connect,
>> authenticate, and the just start PPP on my own and forget waiting for
>> the server to start PPP.  wvdial does a good job of this.  Also, you
>> can demand dial in this situation.
>> Dow
>>

>> Mark Wright wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>

>>> I am exasperated. (ooh I even spelled it right)
>>>
>>> I have been trying for three months in my spare time to set up a
>>> nice little Linux box for my mom.  She badly needs a replacement for
>>> here Apple IIsi.  She is on dial up.  I am a computer professional.
>>> Whatever that means.  I have been repairing Mainframes since 85.  I
>>> used dial up back when every modem command and network option had to
>>> be entered by hand on whatever tty device we were lucky enough to
>>> have.  So why can't I get a Linux distro to connect to Earthlink?
>>>
>>> I have tried FC2, Mandrake 9.2, and 10.0, Knoppix 2.0, Linspire 4.5,
>>> and Ubuntu.  I have two identical US robotics 56K modems that work
>>> fine on any machine.  One of them was working on an OS2 box only a
>>> few months ago.
>>>
>>> FC2 had a strange issue with the modem that I corrected via a tip I
>>> found online.  All the others auto sense the modem and dial it
>>> correctly without help.  I get to the same place with al the
>>> different distos.
>>>
>>> From /var/log/message on Ubuntu:
>>>
>>> chat [24230]: send (ATST6782454201)
>>> chat [24230]:  expect (connect)
>>> chat [24230]:  ^M
>>> chat [24230]:  CONNECT
>>> chat [24230]:  - - got it
>>> chat [24230]:  send  (/d)
>>> pppd [24227]:  Serial connection established
>>> pppd [24227]:  Using interface ppp0
>>> pppd [24227]:  Connect :  ppp0  <--> /dev/ttyS0
>>> pppd [24227]:  LCP:  timeout sending config-Requests
>>> pppd [24227]:  Connection terminated
>>> pppd [24227]:  Hangup  (SIGHUP)