[ale] need working dial up

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Sat Dec 18 00:43:14 EST 2004

Thanks everyone.  You have helped me push this bug further in the last
two days than I have been able to in weeks.

Please let me ask a real dumb sounding question of the list.  Is anyone
using, or know someone using a 2.6 kernel distro on a dial up
connection?

This is why I ask.  There seems to be nothing wrong with my setup.  ( I
tried the various username adaptations)  I am getting connected at the
modem level and ppp starts just fine.  Then a problem occurs.   PPP on
my box isn't responding to the server as expected.  I am not sure when
the UID and pwd are used but I think it is passed before ppp
establishes a link not after.  All the info that I found on the web to
help me configure was written for 2.4 or earlier kernels.   I found
some links to ppp.rc issues in the current kernel and some folks
talking about the need to fix the module and recompile the kernel.  So
I'd like to fall back and ask the obvious question, has any body done
this?

If any one person on ALE has a 2.6 kernel doing dial-up please raise
you hand.  If not I am going to dig up a 8.x or 9.x version of mandrake
and test my hypothesis.

Thanks again.

Mark