[ale] Controlling network interface order in 2.6 kernel

Joe Bayes jbayes at spoo.mminternet.com
Mon Dec 13 17:44:10 EST 2004

On Monday 13 December 2004 20:27, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:

>    I'm upgrading a machine to FC3 that has two ethernet interfaces.
> They are coming up in the reverse order compared to the 2.4
> kernel. So, the NIC associated with eth0 before is now associated
> with eth1 under 2.6. I'd like to control the order if possible. I found
> one link that might help,

Since FC3 uses udev by default, I think you can write a udev
script. I'm not sure if you can ensure that a specific device is
always, say, eth0, but I'm pretty sure you can ensure that a specific
device always has a specific name of your choosing (like, say,
/dev/firstNIC).

A tutorial on writing udev rules is here:

http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php

Joe
Joe Bayes -- jbayes at spoo.mminternet.com