[ale] mail headers question

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Fri Aug 27 11:54:11 EDT 2004

On Friday, August 27, 2004, Geoffrey wrote:
> Stephan Uphoff wrote:
> > Can you send an (obfuscated) complete header of the failed email.
>
> Sure, I think the first line is the issue:

>          by mrelay.perfora.net with ESMTP (Nemesis),
>          id 0MKyxe-1C01Ul3mMO-00085u; Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:23:35 -0400

Correct me if I have misunderstood something:

You sent an e-mail addressed to a mindspring recipient, using Mozilla
as your mua, and using your speedfactory internet connection for
transport.

Mozilla was configured to forward the e-mail to a 1and1 smtp server
known as mrelay.perfora.net (a.k.a. smtp.perfora.net).  The reason
you configured Mozilla to do this is because the "From:" address of
your message used a domain name which is in some way associated with
the 1and1 ISP.

The mrelay.perfora.net server accepted the message from you and
attempted to forward it on to mindspring.  Mindspring rejected it.

If all this is true, then isn't mrelay.perfora.net acting as a open
relay by accepting mail from one outside source (speedfactory) and
forwarding to another outside source (mindspring)?

In any case, have you considered that maybe your message was bounced
because mindspring doesn't trust perfora.net (rightly or wrongly),
rather than because of your private/NATed address in the header?

--JoeFrom esoteric at 3times25.net  Fri Aug 27 12:05:04 2004
> Correct me if I have misunderstood something:
>
> You sent an e-mail addressed to a mindspring recipient, using Mozilla
> as your mua, and using your speedfactory internet connection for
> transport.
>
> Mozilla was configured to forward the e-mail to a 1and1 smtp server
> known as mrelay.perfora.net (a.k.a. smtp.perfora.net).  The reason
> you configured Mozilla to do this is because the "From:" address of
> your message used a domain name which is in some way associated with
> the 1and1 ISP.
>
> The mrelay.perfora.net server accepted the message from you and
> attempted to forward it on to mindspring.  Mindspring rejected it.
>
> If all this is true, then isn't mrelay.perfora.net acting as a open
> relay by accepting mail from one outside source (speedfactory) and
> forwarding to another outside source (mindspring)?
>
> In any case, have you considered that maybe your message was bounced
> because mindspring doesn't trust perfora.net (rightly or wrongly),
> rather than because of your private/NATed address in the header?

All you've noted is accurate.  I assume they bounced the message because
of the reference to my speedfactory user connection and/or the reference
to a non-routable ip (which should be hidden by nat).

Your assumption may well be correct though.  Question is, why does it
get through if I set my smtp server to my local machine?

--
Until later, Geoffrey       Registered Linux User #108567
                             AT&T Certified UNIX System Programmer - 1995