[ale] OT - Wireless Data Service options

Vincent Fox vf5 at plm.gatech.edu
Fri Aug 27 09:16:30 EDT 2004

At present wireless high-speed data in remote areas is as far as I know
more dream less reality.

As an example take a look at the voice coverage maps for Cingular network
with TDMA/analog and you will see it's very good. Anywhere in North GA
for example I can get great voice coverage and also I can use my plain
old Wireless Internet. However the data speed is 9600 baud which leaves a
lot to be desired. But I've learned to live with since at least it does work.

If you want higher-speed take a look at the GSM coverage map.  GSM is the
network of new towers that supports GPRS/EDGE for high-speed data. GSM is
basically is in the metro area and following the interstates and major state
highways.  If you are in East Bumble forget it.

Your best bet for good speeds would be look at the GSM maps and pick
that plan. T-Mobile is all-GSM I think so I would look at their coverage
and see if it covers your sites of interest.