[ale] router stupids

Stephan Uphoff ups at tree.com
Thu Aug 26 12:31:37 EDT 2004

If I understand correctly your linux router has two NICs connected to
the same switch.

I have had problems with similar setups in the past due to bugs
in the ARP implementation. (Patched linux 2.2.16 kernel I believe)

Both NICs received an ARP request for the IP of internal/external
network and both NICS answered the same request providing their own
Ethernet address.

Once IP packets get routed through the wrong interface your firewall
rules will probably just drop them.

	Stephan