[ale] Crashed LVM machine, any ideas

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Mon Aug 23 15:24:38 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 14:54, Nathan J. Underwood wrote:
> Ok, so I have a machine that was running RH Linux 9 with LVM that
> crashed over the weekend.  Apparently, the power went out, the UPS ran
> out of juice, and wasn't set to shut down the Linux box.  Anyway, all it
> does now is POST, and then sit there with a cursor blinking in the top
> left corner.  I don't know what they called the volumes, and it looks
> like /boot was part of the lvm as well.  I'm on google right now 'lernin
>   bout lvm', but any helpful nudges in the right direction would be
> greatly appreciated.

Good Luck,

I had a similar issue a couple weeks ago.  (Tru64 UNIX, not Linux, but
still they had all the key filesystems under LVM control.  The strange
part is none of the Oracle database filesystems were under LVM
management, just /, /usr, /var, etc.)

In my case, all I could do was restore from tape.   And even that was
hard because the server had 40 some odd drives hooked up and only 9 were
under LVM control.  I ended up working on the machine for 12 hours (all
night) to figure out what drives were part of the non-functioning LVM
setup and which were standalone and/or externally attached array drives
that could simply be remounted.

I hope it works out better for you.

Greg
--