[ale] Bycotting B$

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Thu Aug 19 08:30:20 EDT 2004

[...]

    Geoffrey> I'm the same, the first chance I have to stop giving
    Geoffrey> them money, I'll be on top of it.  Right now, I have to
    Geoffrey> have there phone service in order to get dsl through
    Geoffrey> another provider, I'm hoping that will change soon.  I'm
    Geoffrey> not about to drop the phone service and go with the
    Geoffrey> cable monopoly.

Now take this as unsubstantiated scuttlebutt if you will, but a month
or so ago I was riding MARTA (speaking of monopolys providing dodgy
service :) home and overheard a couple of guys with BLS name badges
talking and one of them said that because of regulatory changes that
you could get BLS DSL service without being required to have a
landline from them.  I have no more details than that and haven't
tried to find out anything more (although I am considering calling up
speedfactory and seeing if I can get something faster than the IDSL
that's all that speakeasy seems to be able to offer me).