[ale] Re: If you're on Bellsouth DSL, I recommend changing providers.

Chuck Huber chuck at cehuber.org
Wed Aug 18 13:41:29 EDT 2004

Mike Murphy <mike at tyderia.net> wrote:
 > Subject: Re: [ale] If you're on Bellsouth DSL, I recommend changing
 > 	providers.
 > To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
 >
 > What's the major problem?

The major problem is the will of the few being imposed on the many.

About a month ago I posted a similar problem with outbound access to
port 25.  This was not disclosed to me in any way when I singed up.
As a matter of fact, I explicitly asked and was told that there was no
firewall or filtering between my DSL line and the Internet.  Now I'm to
understand that they're also blocking inbound access to key ports?

They're really not an Internet Service Provider.  They're more of an
Internet Client Access Provider.  "Oh, we'll give you access to the
Internet, but only from a client.  No servers allowed."  Now, what's the
point of getting a static IP address if you're not going to allow
inbound access?

While these restrictions are lifted for Business DSL customers, you have
to have a Business Line (1FB) in order to get Business DSL.

* * * * *

But that's still not what this is all about.

BellSouth recently issued a notice to ISP's that use their lines
(SpeedFactory, EarthLink, etc).  That notice informed the ISP's that the
courts have ruled that port 25 *may* be blocked, that clients may be
forced to relay mail through a common server, and that an ISP may copy
and/or peruse any and all email that passes through their server.

They're using the "spam" excuse as just that - an excuse for something
that would otherwise be unacceptable.

What it is *truly* about is counter-terrorism and the PATRIOT act.
They're making it easier for the CIA, the FBI, and other TLA-type
agencies (three letter acronym) to intercept email.

Why?  Because the ragheads are using the Internet quite successfully in
their communications.

Is this good?  For some (law enforcement), yes.  For others, no.  I fall
into the latter group in that I've had to rent a co-lo server just to
get my domain back up.  For the 99% of all HellSouth users, the only
impact would be the loss of a liberty.  Does it really bring safety and
security?  Probably not.  It's yet another way for Big Brother to
monitor you.

Chuck Huber
Duke Pro, Inc.
Office: 828-684-6022
Cell: 404-754-2054
Home: 828-683-7324

--
"The purpose of encryption is to protect good people
from bad people, not to protect bad people from the government."