[ale] Hyperthreading

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Aug 15 23:21:11 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 22:51, James Sumners wrote:
> That is very odd. I have a box with dual 2.0Ghz HT processors and it can compile
> MySQL in four minutes and some change.

You have two physical processors. Some things do work OK with HT. Some
aspects of program compiling should while others should thrash the
cache. Test this by turning off the HT in the bios and recompile from a
fresh MySQL tarball and time it. Then reboot an turn the HT back on and
do it again and publish your results.

Even better would be to add a third step of disabling one processor and
running just HT and get that timing data.

And while you're at it, turn of HT and do it all a fourth time just for
a baseline.

None of my dual CPU machines are even _close_ in capabilities so I can't
test anything like this with my rigs. (How does one compare a dual
Opteron 1.4 GHZ with a dual PIII 550 and a PIV 2.2GHz w/HT?)

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>