[ale] Tools for writing docbook?

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Sun Aug 15 12:37:27 EDT 2004

On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 11:37:15AM -0400, BruceG wrote:
> 	So - are there any tools that simplify editing and writing a docbook and that
> show you what the finished product would look like? Or do you manually edit
> the raw file, keeping a reference of docbook formatting commands (kind of
> like editing html in a text editor?). I'd like to help a project, but don't
> want to bite off more than I can chew.

Xmlmind is pretty good: http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/ .  The
standard version is a free download, and it does a pretty good job of
transforming docbook xml to html.  It's a java application though, so
you'll need a pretty beefy machine to get decent performance.

If you need to transform to pdf or other formats, you'll need to either
buy the professional version, or do the transform yourself with FO.  See
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/ and
http://xml.apache.org/fop/index.html.

HTH,
Jason