[ale] Speedfactory upgrade

Nathan J. Underwood ale1 at cybertechcafe.net
Sat Aug 7 09:46:54 EDT 2004

I moved to the 3MB Speedfactory xDSL a few months ago (about 3 or 4 I
believe).  The speed is great, and the customer service is great.  I
have had a few issues, though.  I had bell for about 18 months, and have
very little downtime, it was just slow (per dslreports, I was getting
around 200k down on average).  Since upgrading to Speedfactory, my xDSL
goes down on Fridays and Saturdays, almost like clockwork.  I've rewired
the house (ran new CAT5 from the nid to the [new] jack that I plug the
xDSL modem into, then tested the run), used 2 xDSL modems (my old Westel
from bell, and the Speedstream that Speedfactory shipped), and tried 2
firewall / routers (both Linksys, the first was an 802.11B with 4pt
switch, the new one is the WRT54G running the Sveasoft firmware).  Each
time I've called to let them know of the problem, they've been very
helpful and very eager to help get the problem resolved.  I love the
service, the customer service, and the price, but I may have to look
elsewhere if we can't figure out what the issue is on Fridays and
Saturdays.  They still get a thumbs up from me, but a qualified one.