[ale] LDAP Problems (newbie)

Nathan J. Underwood ale1 at cybertechcafe.net
Thu Aug 5 16:40:30 EDT 2004

Ok, I'm fumbling my way through this LDAP / Samba v3 stuff for domain
authentication, and I'm just not having a lot of luck.  I have my
/etc/openldap/slapd.conf file setup the way that (I believe) I need it
(per the Quick Start guide and
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6266), and I'm able to start
and query the server.  The article at
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6266 is actually pretty much
everything that I want to do, so I got excited when I found it, but it's
not working quite like I'd hoped.  I've basically mirrored the
slapd.conf file, and created a top.ldif file that's almost identical to
the one listed (I've changed foo to my domain name).  When I try to use
ldapadd to add it to the directory, I get the following error:

ldap_add: Naming violation (64)
         additional info: value of naming attribute 'dc' is not present
in entry

I'm going to continue googling (isn't it funny how that's a verb now?),
but if any of you have had / overcome the same problem, any pointers
would be appreciated.
--
registered linux user # 73046