[ale] SBC Speedstream

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 3 12:10:41 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 03 August 2004 11:38, Preston Boyington wrote:

> the tech suggested that he try using a dial-up program and place the IP
> address in the dial field, with the user name and password in their
> respective fields.  i had not heard of this before.
>
> the tech couldn't help with DNS addresses and such, so after paul does some
> more searching he is going to call back and maybe get another tech and ask
> them for this information.

The thing that helped me the most using DSL is to drop-kick the Speedstream
DSL modem and request a new DSL modem with Ethernet interface. I told
Bellsouth my PC was old and didn't have a USB port.

I hope you can get the USB modem working under Linux. I had a hard enough time
getting my old Speedstream to work consistently under Windows, so went
Ethernet. That makes it a lot easier if you want to put in your own firewall,
router, or share your connection.

Once I swapped to Ethernet on the DSL modem, getting Linux desktops to work
was trivial. I paid for the Westell modem with Ethernet interface - but it
was definately worth it.