[ale] SBC Speedstream

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Tue Aug 3 11:45:11 EDT 2004

Jonathan Rickman wrote:
>>> From what I understand he is using a USB Speedstream ADSL
>> modem with his service from SBC (local telephone providor?).
>> Can anyone give me a bit of help with (maybe) a walk-thru?  Links?
>
> Model of Speedstream Product? (5660,5200,etc)
>
> Type of service? (PPPoA,PPPoE,etc)

ok, i have some more information.

he has a Speedstream 5100 modem and his service is PPPoE.

also, they gave him the modem IP address.

when asked if they support Linux the tech said "i don't know of anyone here that can do that"

paul said the tech was very nice and tried to help as much as he could, but didn't know how.

the tech suggested that he try using a dial-up program and place the IP address in the dial field, with the user name and password in their respective fields.  i had not heard of this before.

the tech couldn't help with DNS addresses and such, so after paul does some more searching he is going to call back and maybe get another tech and ask them for this information.

this help?