[ale] OT: Well it is going to hit the list sooner or later.

Jeff Tillotson ale at jeffx.com
Sun Aug 1 12:08:10 EDT 2004

On Aug 1, 2004, at 10:23 AM, Mike Panetta wrote:

> The only problem with that I can see is your boss will never sign a
> letter saying that
> you can spy on him.

Then you wait for your boss's boss to give you the letter.  Sysadmin
does not mean police force.

> Who watches the watchers?

Thanks Alan Moore.  If you take action, which without permission is
vigilante action, you can't expect to be treated like a hero.  If he
was addressing the higher ups and they didn't seem to care why did he
expect anything different?  Things I have learned the hard way include
thinking I know all the variables to a situation.  That is basically
what a chain of command is all about.  He addressed his problems to
higher power and was unhappy with the result.

> Oh, and why is what he did unethical?  Why is trying to save taxpayers
> (or
> in the case of a private company, shareholders) money by checking that
> someone is doing the job they are payed (and payed very highly
> in the case of CEO's and such) to do, and not wasting money by slacking
> off.

So it is the sysadmin's job to monitor employees for slacking off?  So
what about the secretary who browses to wedding planner sites and such.
  Should he report them?  Does his job description read "enforce your
level of ethics at all cost"?

> Why is it unethical for someone lower down in the company to use
> the means he has at hands

Because many times the people lower have a power and ability far
superior to anyone above them.  This is the case for a lot of
sysadmins.  Is it okay to use a power in anyway you, the power holder,
see fit?  Having ethics is one thing.  Thinking you can enforce your
ethics on others is another.

Regards,
Jeff