[ale] DSPAM

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Apr 29 19:56:33 EDT 2004

After watching spamassassin slowly die (even with updates and custom
tweaks), I gave up and decided to install a new anti-spam engine.

DSPAM kicks butt!! I preloaded it with a corpus of about 1200 non-spams
(archived ALE emails and personals) and about 80 spam emails (which only
took about 3 hours to collect once I turned off spamassassin).

My spam load is still 2/3 of my email volume. But DSPAM is quarantining
the spams. I have had only 3 spams get through and 4 mis-labeled as spam
that were not out of nearly 300 emails over the last 24 hours. Given
that the training is still happening, I'm very impressed. My wife's
stats on the spam are even better (1300+ messages, 3 incorrectly labeled
as spam, 4 spams delivered).

As discussions earlier were about spam solutions that were a bit less
extreme than mutilation and murder, I wanted to pass along a solution
that seems to fit the earlier criteria.

Oh, yeah. It's easy to use for non-geeks. If a spam gets through,
forward it to spam-username at doamin. Check a web page occasionally to
look for false-positives and mark those as not spam and it reprocesses
them and sends them on. The speed could be improved by using mysql
instead of bdb. But my needs here are only for 4 users.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>