[ale] anybody vmware?

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 19 17:16:16 EDT 2004

On Sunday 18 April 2004 10:27 am, miguel wrote:
> hello..
>
> anybody running vmware4.5 for linux ? if so, can you share some of
> gotchas...
>
> i running RH9 with 1.2G ram and 160gig HD. Is this ok or do i need more
> ram?
>
> tia
> -mig

I'm running vmware 4.5.1.7568 on a gentoo 1.4 install.
Kernel 2.6.3
512 MB Ram
4 gig virtual disks hosted on a FAT32 partition
AMD XP2200+

I've hosted win2k, win2kserver, win2k3 server, xp (home & pro), win98se,
debian, redhat 9, suse 8.1.  No problem with any except for 98 where it won't
see host shares. It's not a bug, what ever they use for the sharing mechanism
98 doesn't support it.

Only gotcha's I've had on kernel 2.6 is that you have to set CD-ROMS to legacy
mode.  Also I can get fedora test 2 to install, just hangs.  Haven't really
persued it though.

I typically only run one session at a time, but have run two on several
occassions.  My limiting factor is memory.  Hard drive speed, as another
poster mentioned, is very important also.

Calvin...