[ale] [OT] earthlink - results

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Mon Apr 19 13:16:31 EDT 2004

Here's the rest of the story, and the resolution.  It turns out, after I
posted (thanks to all for responding, and Bob I'll keep your post in case
of any future unpleasantries with anybody) that my parents calls to
general customer service had simply resulted in confusion on both parts.
But when they called me to tell me about it, you'd think that the Hounds
of Hell were on their doorsteps thretening to sue my poor defenseless and
technologically clueless grandmother.  *sigh*

Naturally, they being my parents and normally somewhat reasonable people,
I assumed that they were In The Right and that they were being picked on
by a customer svc department that, to be fair, has a LOT of bad things said
about it.  Today, I called customer svc myself, got the number of
collections (which is in-house and which I'm sure was on the bill my
parents got), spoke to someone very nice at collections, paid the
paltry sum that was owed and all is well.  The account was closed after 2
months of nonpayment on a defunct credit card...why the parents thought it
wasn't, I don't know.  I have not seen the wording on this collections
notice -- no doubt it was worded strongly to scare the miscreants who
don't pay for their accounts into paying....I hope so, because I feel
awfully foolish about all of this.

So I'm off to ask them what happened, and why they thought it was some Big
Huge Deal.  Hell, we owed the 2 months, and I certainly don't mind paying
it.

For the record, the people I spoke to at Earthlink were helpful and
efficient.  YMMV of course.

The moral of the story...er, see my .sig.

jenn

--
Jenn Taylor
jtaylor at onlinea.com

Obviously, a man's judgement cannot be better than the information on which he
has based it.  Give him the truth and he may still go wrong when he has
the chance to be right, but give him no news or present him only with distorted
and incomplete data, with ignorant, sloppy or biased reporting, with propaganda
and deliberate falsehoods, and you destroy his whole reasoning processes, and
make him something less than a man.
-- Arthur Hays Sulzberger