[ale] Multihoming, Gateways, DHCP, and you!

Drag0n dragon at atlantacon.org
Sat Sep 27 23:07:46 EDT 2003

>From what i understand of DHCPCD, it should get the default gateway from
the dhcp server(at least that is how things work on my Comcast firewall.
My set up is as follows
1 p!!!500 firewall with 2 nics,
	eth0 is dhcp to comcrap
	eth1 is static ip to my router
1 p!! 400 router with 5 nic's (room for several more if needed)
	eth0 to the firewall static route
	eth1 to my DMZ
	eth2 to my development net
	eth3 to my guest net
	eth4 to my main net
each network off the router has the routers interface as its default
route. the router does the forwarding as needed. the firewall has a
static route for the router to reach all the sub networks. if i was
using just one box, i would not need the ectra routing statement. as
long as each network knows how to reach its default router, DHCPCD will
provide the firewall/router with the needed default gateway for the
internet.

Drag0n
CCNA, RHCE
dragon at atlantacon.org