[ale] Multihoming, Gateways, DHCP, and you!

Howard Fore mylists at hofo.com
Sat Sep 27 20:30:24 EDT 2003

Ok, me not you (sorry).

For kicks and giggles I decided to convert a dustcatcher into a
firewall/router for my house. It's a HP Netserver E50 (P2 333) and I
put 4 NICs in it and am running Knoppix-std and Shorewall. My cable
modem is connected to eth0 and uses dhcp for addressing. My wireless
access points are on eth1, the LAN is on eth2, and any machine that I
decide to put into a DMZ situation will hang off eth3. A bit excessive
for most home LAN setups but hey, I'm a geek.

Anyway, the problem is in setting the gateway for eth1, eth2, and eth3.
How do I configure those NICs to use eth0 as the gateway? Given the
relative infrequency that Comcast switches the IP on me I suppose I
could simply give them the address Comcast gives me on eth0, but that
seems a bit arbitrary. Suggestions or ideas?

Howard Fore, mylists at hofo.com
"I hope you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not
sure you understand that what you've heard is not what I meant."
President Richard Nixon