[ale] upgrading glibcx to glibc2.2.4...........

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at world.std.com
Fri Sep 19 22:03:45 EDT 2003

>Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:23:26 -0500
>From: Courtney Thomas <ccthomas at joimail.com>
>To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
>Subject: Re: [ale] upgrading glibcx to glibc2.2.4...........
>
>Thanks so much James.
>
>What you recommend is what I plan, i.e. to unfurl the the whole mess in
>an 'isolated' directory and merely link what I hope is the only missing
>link, i.e. the requisite shared lib.
>
>Or maybe I should say I think that's what you recommend   :- )
>
>My env is FreeBSD running under linux compatibility mode and the calling
>app is Netscape7.1.

Aaaah, in that case, then you should use the FreeBSD
toolset/package management system to delete &
re-add/upgrade that. :)  In case of FreeBSD, glibc is not
required by the OS itself & is only required by the Linux
emulation "layer" and any Linux executables.  As long as
you delete its dependencies first (or use portupgrade I
think {shrug}) you can even update/replace glibc on a
running system (I've done it a couple of times).

-kc