[ale] upgrading glibcx to glibc2.2.4...........

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at joimail.com
Fri Sep 19 20:06:13 EDT 2003

Thanks so much James.

What you recommend is what I plan, i.e. to unfurl the the whole mess in
an 'isolated' directory and merely link what I hope is the only missing
link, i.e. the requisite shared lib.

Or maybe I should say I think that's what you recommend   :- )

My env is FreeBSD running under linux compatibility mode and the calling
app is Netscape7.1.

Appreciatively,
Courtney

James P. Kinney III wrote:

>Upgrading glibc is HARD! Everything depends on it. To replace a running
>glibc is similar to a heart transplant in a living being.
>
>It is an easier task to install a new glibc to support an application
>that needs the new library calls. In that situation, it would be a
>better thing (in an rpm environment, especially) to NOT use the package
>management and instead do the compile and install into /usr/local, then
>update /etc/ld.so.conf to include the /usr/local/lib directory if it is
>not already there.
>
>Unless you are hurting for space, and thus might need to install other
>versions of glibc to support other stuff, only install the version
>required, unless there are know "issues" with that version. I that case
>get the next higher version that is free of the problem.
>
>This is a process that really can't be done without a test machine
>running the same stuff as the production box.
>
>And lots of antacid.
>
>On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 12:20, Courtney Thomas wrote:
>

>>First, should I upgrade to the highest available or only to 2.2.4 which
>>is the minimum a desired application requires, or to 2.3.2 i.e. the latest ?
>>
>>How should this new glibc be installed, taking into consideration that
>>the old glibcx is currently running ?
>>
>>Thank you.

Courtney Thomas
s/v Mutiny