[ale] Upgrading to Apache 2 on RH 7.3

Howard Fore mylists at hofo.com
Mon Sep 15 22:00:23 EDT 2003

On Monday, Sep 15, 2003, at 15:55 US/Eastern, Jim Lynch wrote:

> You've just discovered why I'll never install Red Hat on any system I
> own or maintain.  If you gotta have RPM, go to Suse.  Otherwise Debian
> has a much more civil method of handling dependencies.  There appears
> to be a port of apt-get to RH.  That might help, but then again, I
> suspect when you're through you'll have installed most of RH 9....

(If I had a choice I'd run Debian myself, not my choice or something I
can change. Just playing the cards I'm dealt.)

I had the same issues with SuSE, hence my preference for Debian. It
seems a fatal flaw of rpm as a path of system maintenance to not be
able to gracefully (and at least semi-automatically) handle
dependencies.

Howard Fore, mylists at hofo.com
"If everything's coming your way, you may be in the wrong lane" - Old
Farmhand, Prairie Home Companion