[ale] Upgrading to Apache 2 on RH 7.3

Jim Lynch jwl at sgi.com
Mon Sep 15 15:55:43 EDT 2003

Howard Fore wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm attempting an upgrade to Apache 2.0.x from 1.3.27 on a Redhat 7.3
> box. RH doesn't appear to offer an rpm for Apache 2 on 7.3. Normally I'd
> just slap in the RH 9.1 CD and upgrade the installation but the 2
> servers I'm working on are about 1600 miles away. So I downloaded the
> Apache 2.0.40 rpm from RHN (and the various rpms to update the packages
> it needed, and the updated packages the packages needed to update
> needed, ad nauseum). Finally I had everything I needed in one directory
> and typed in "rpm -Uvh --test *.rpm". And I get a "error: failed
> dependencies" message and a long list telling me that package foo.1.rpm
> (being replaced by a foo.2.rpm) is needed by program bar.
>
> So what does this tell me? Is the dependency list mean that rpm couldn't
> tell that a library currently installed would be replaced by a newer
> version?
>
> Or, is there a better way to accomplish this upgrade? Ideas? Suggestions?
>
> --
> Howard Fore, mylists at hofo.com
> "I hope you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not
> sure you understand that what you've heard is not what I meant."
> President Richard Nixon

You've just discovered why I'll never install Red Hat on any system I
own or maintain.  If you gotta have RPM, go to Suse.  Otherwise Debian
has a much more civil method of handling dependencies.  There appears to
be a port of apt-get to RH.  That might help, but then again, I suspect
when you're through you'll have installed most of RH 9....

Jim.