[ale] Linux replacements for some M$-based junk

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Mon Sep 15 18:27:13 EDT 2003

runman at speedfactory.net writes:

> Weeeeellll, I based my recommendation on cost.
>
> Win4Lin: $60.00
> 1 hour of a good java programmer's time: $60.00
>
> I don't think anyone can do an entire program in 60 minutes.  Also, java can be really slow unless it is really tuned (read: more $$$$).

But... slower than VBScript running on top of Access? C'mon,
give Gosling & Co *some* credit.

> Also, what you are gaining is 1) using windows in a more stable invironment, 2) using windows in a more secure environment, and 3) not having to buy any more boxes (cheap as they are).  However, if they have an extra machine that is not networked and the data is backed up, then I feel you are exactly correct.

Well, they already bought a machine just to run Peachtree Accounting
on. The accountant has expressed some willingness to
investigate alternatives, so there's even hope that they
might go for an OSS accounting package. I've seen a few
threads on that topic go by recently, so I can dredge the
ALE archives.

Jenn, I've already replaced part of the Access app with
a Zope web-based app, which took about three weeks of
my time. The remaining functions of the Access thing
are involved with accounting (!) and contract management
(!!), which I'm not really eager to deal with, though
I might give it a try. But I'm pretty sure that
if I say, "I can give you all this other stuff for
free, but it's gonna cost you about $5K to replace
the rest of the Access app", the conversation will
be over at that point. So most likely, Win4Lin it
is.

Thanks, everyone.

-- Joe Knapka