[ale] Linux replacements for some M$-based junk

Matthew Brown matthew.brown at cordata.com
Mon Sep 15 08:33:25 EDT 2003

...and don't forget Tcl/Tk!  Have you seen pgaccess?  It makes
PostgreSQL work a little like Access.  That is, in terms of having
Tables, Queries, Forms, and such.

Haen't used it extensively or recently, but last time I looked I was
very impressed.

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 00:37, Dan Newcombe wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, J.M. Taylor wrote:
> > I'll second the Win4Lin for the windows apps.
> > If they want to replace the Access thing, it's been my experience that
> > anything in Access can be recreated by a competent programmer with
> > mysql/php or perl or java or other language in a short period of time, and
> > it'll be aeons more reliable.
>
> To give a dissenting opinion...if they have to launch a whole virtual
> Windows to run one or both of these, is that really a good reason to move?
> Seems to me you are recommending them to spend $xx for this win4lin
> package so they can still run something they are currently runningwith no
> additional cost.
>
> As for the php/perl to replace an access app - I'm assuming you're talking
> web based.  That really changes the whole way the app would work and
> interact compared to an Access Form based app.  Java would be a much
> better solution (plus you could pitch it as now being cross-platform :)

Best regards,

Matthew Brown
CorData, Inc.
Office:	770-795-0089