[ale] OT: submit your own anti-trust complaint against Microsoft (trollicious)

Rebecca Jones jones.rebecca at comcast.net
Sat Sep 13 00:32:51 EDT 2003

> i think the university systems bought their way into MS -- you think the
> universities are making money from buying ms software?  i don't think so.
> i think the university's though process was more like: "what OS is used and
> known by most people?  which OS has most of the software used in business
> [ms office junks, etc.]?"

Really?  Have a look.

http://stacks.msnbc.com/news/956800.asp?0sl=-23&cp1=1

I witnessed the exact same thing happen at my undergraduate school.  MS comes
in offering all kinds of discounts ... including the computers to run the OS
on.  Where my compsci class taught us to program using emacs and other text
editors, students now learn to code using MS Visual C++.  AFIK, the only
computers in the computer labs now are windows machines.  We used to have
sparc stations and SGIs.  *sigh*

Beckie