[ale] [OT and sorry] - M$ patches and security advice?

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 12 09:50:09 EDT 2003

On Thursday 11 September 2003 16:10, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:

> On Thursday 11 September 2003 02:10 pm, BruceG wrote:
> > No Windows for 4 years? That's a GOOD thing! Anyway, MS patches are a
> > semi-automagic thing. You click on Internet Explorer, then on Tools, then
> > on Windows Update. This gets you to Microsoft's update webpage. If you do
> > not have MS Updater on your PC, it will get downloaded and installed.
>
> The last time I tried to update my Win2k installation M$ wanted me to
> agree to onerous changes in the EULA. I refused. Is M$ still playing such
> games with the EULA?
>
> Sean

Absolutely! I refused a previous update due to that specific reason. The EULA
enforces some of the digital copyright stuff that has been having a lot of
press time. Basically (if I remember right) - with the last 2 service packs
your hard disk can get scanned for digital media (music, movies) that have
copyright problems. The EULA states that the digital media can be locked or
removed (by the software, not by you as an end-user).

I thought that bit of nonsense was being contested in courts? Anyway - if
you'd rather not have the effects of the Blaster worm, you have to install
the service pack - and therefore you also have to accept the digital media
copyright protection.