[ale] [OT and sorry] - M$ patches and security advice?

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Thu Sep 11 22:22:41 EDT 2003

On Thursday 11 September 2003 21:20, Frank Zamenski wrote:

> If the ver is Win2K SP3 (or maybe it is SP4?), it has a slightly
> different gimmick (it was added with one of those later SPs): like Win
> eXtra Poo does now, it encourages you with this damn annoying info
> ballon you see on your lower-right desktop shortly after logging in
> (which you can NOT disable) to set up auto-update. It is said that by
> enabling that, the OS will then do all this update nonsense for you in
> the background, doing gawd only knows what to the PC. Can't say I
> recommend it.

Frank this is not directed at you in particular.

I need to clear up some apparent misconceptions about how the Windows
Update process works. If it sounds like I am defending MS, then so be it.
Secure computing is my number one priority, Linux evangelism takes a
backseat and with it, MS bashing. Do not be afraid of Windows Update,
just be cautious when using it just as you should be when patching any
system. You really have no choice in the matter if you want a secure
system. MS is the sole provider of Windows and is therefore the sole
provider of updates. Different from the Linux world? Yes. Hard to
understand? No. The auto update feature can be disabled on 2k and XP (not
sure about 9x), contrary to what has been stated. If enabled, it will
contact MS periodically to check for the presence of an updated file (XML
IIRC) and compare that file against its registry. This can be verified
using standard network and system diagnostic tools. There are 3 settings
to the current version of Windows Update on Win2k and WinXP. You can set
it to notify you when updates are available, download updates without
installing and notify you when they are ready, and for the truly
brave...automatically download and install patches at a scheduled time. I
do not recommend the third option, for obvious reasons. Windows is not
quite like a *nix system, where you can effectively ignore many security
advisories that involve local exploits on a single user system. The
internals of a Windows system are so tangled that practically any
vulnerability can be leveraged remotely with a little creativity on the
part of the attacker. Often the presence of more than one vulnerability
that alone is not critical, can lead to a total compromise of a Windows
system. IMNSHO, failing to take advantage of this service on a Windows
system is...ahem...not smart. Ironically, many of those who turn the
feature off for whatever reason, are the same folks who wont hesitate to
apt-get/emerge themselves into oblivion without so much as a moment of
hesitation. They will often brag about it as well. Security is a process,
not a product. I would daresay that I can lock a Windows box down tighter
than 90% of Linux admins can lock down their Linux boxes...and I
personally despise Windows. Does that make Windows more secure? No. It
means that my methods are more secure. If you run Windows, use Windows
Update. Don't leave yourself open to compromise. If you distrust MS to
the point that you will not patch Windows, then IMO you should not use
Windows at all. Furthermore, if you're that paranoid you should not trust
Linux distributors either and should build from audited source. I'm all
for a good old fashioned MS bashing session, but let's not hand out bad
advice in the process.

--
Jonathan Rickman
Key ID: 0DF501FF