[ale] [OT and sorry] - M$ patches and security advice?

Frank Zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Thu Sep 11 21:20:53 EDT 2003

> On Thursday 11 September 2003 10:18, J.M. Taylor wrote:
> > I don't actually use Windows, nor have I for...4 years now? (wow,
it's
> > like an AA meeting...)
> >
> > But I've been asked to give a security talk to our 62+ computer
class
> > (basically, how to use a computer for anyone over 62 years old) and
of
> > course they learn Windows.  So since there's lots of multi platform
people
> > on ALE -- where do you go to get Windows patches?  Is there anyplace
> > *other* than the apparently overloaded microsoft site to obtain
them?  Is
> > it an automagic patchy thing where they <shudder> scan your machine
over
> > the web to determine what you need and then deliver it?
> >
> > Anybody have any Windows-specific advice to give me to pass on to
these
> > folks?  I need to keep it relatively simple, but I want to make
sure they
> > have resources they need.  My security talks don't focus on
technology per
> > se, but are more an overview of how to be paranoid.  But I do want
to give
> > them some Windows specific stuff that they can follow up on.
> >
> > Many thanks, and I apologize for asking MS questions here...I just
am
> > totally, utterly clueless when it comes to Windows.  Ignorance is
bliss,
> > as they say.
> >
> > jenn
>
> Hey Jenn,
>
>    No Windows for 4 years? That's a GOOD thing! Anyway, MS patches
are a
> semi-automagic thing. You click on Internet Explorer, then on Tools,
then on
> Windows Update. This gets you to Microsoft's update webpage. If you
do not
> have MS Updater on your PC, it will get downloaded and installed.
Once the
> application is installed and you are at the MS site, you can click on
Scan.
> It will scan your computer and give you a list of patches for your
computer.

>    Patches are broken out into 3 sections: Critical, Windows,
Drivers.
> (forgive me if I get a name wrong, I'm on my SuSE PC right now - but
> dutifully applied patches to my Win2K laptop this morning).
>
>    You select the patches you want to install, then they are
downloaded and
> installed. Some critical patches require a reboot - so you download
and
> install then individually, then go back to Windows update and apply
the rest.

>    If you don't get better info, I'll sit at my wife's WinXP laptop,
my Win2K
> laptop and WinME dual-boot desktop to see if there are any major
differences.
> I think they all operate pretty much the same.

Jenn,

Which ver of Winbloze? If its (the soon to be unsupported) Win98,
there's this so-called 'task scheduler' that runs in the lower-right
screen tasks (as in running) tray. After updating 98 some mysterious X
ammount of times, where X == some strange no# known only to Msft -- a
critical updates pgm gets auto-installed in the scheduler. After an
internet connection is made, one of the tasks of critical update is to
pop up and inform (actually, iritate!) you that one or more critical
updates is available. The pop up has two buttons, one to 'view updates
now', which if selected will automatically take you to the Msft update
shite, else, there is the 'view later' choice, which puts the pop up to
sleep until the next connection. If you open the scheduler, you will
see the critical update default is to run every 5 mins forever and ever
or until you go insane, which maybe could be hell for an always-on
connection? ;) Oh yeah, you can change that default in the scheduler....

Anyway, assuming you choose view, you then are magically transported to
update, and your machine then gets scanned "without any info being sent
back to Msft", which always crax me up as, how can you *NOT* send any
info back to Msft for the damn thing to work in the first place?? ;)

So, it's automated.... sorta. If the machine is not updated regularly
(and with Win, you *must* update *all the time*, like, weekly!), the
list of available patches can be huge and unweildly, especially for
those critical patches (and *every* patch for Win is critical, IMO)
that can only be installed without others, which almost always require
a reboot, then ya gotta go to the shite and do it again, and again ad
nauseum.

If the ver is Win2K SP3 (or maybe it is SP4?), it has a slightly
different gimmick (it was added with one of those later SPs): like Win
eXtra Poo does now, it encourages you with this damn annoying info
ballon you see on your lower-right desktop shortly after logging in
(which you can NOT disable) to set up auto-update. It is said that by
enabling that, the OS will then do all this update nonsense for you in
the background, doing gawd only knows what to the PC. Can't say I
recommend it.

HTH, and congrats on your four yrs!
Frank