[ale] [OT and sorry] - M$ patches and security advice?

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Thu Sep 11 10:47:42 EDT 2003

Geoffrey said:
> I know it won't fly, but I'll say it anyway.  This is the perfect group
> to push Linux on.  My mother-in-law is 62 and all she does in email,
> browsing and some word processing.  They don't do the games and such
> that most folks need windows for.

Yeah, I know. And I *do* plan to mention that there are alternative OSs
out there...honestly I'd rather see non-technical people use a Mac, since
they're a lot easier to use and harder to screw up.  I'm considering
switching my grandmother to RH when I go visit, since a) I could actually
answer her questions and b) it wouldn't keep crashing, and me 600 miles
away.  All she cares about is Windows solitare, and Wine has been able to
run that beautifully for years. :)

> So far as I know, this is your only and worst solution.  Does this make
> sense?  Connect your vulnerable computer to the internet to patch it...

<shudder><twitch>  At least with most *nix vulnerabilities, if they're
that bad you can disable the service or otherwise protect yourself before
getting back online. I suppose knowledable Win users can do this too, but
how many home Win users are knowledgable enough? The latest round of
RPC/DCOM stuff is just sad, sad.

jenn