[ale] [OT and sorry] - M$ patches and security advice?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Sep 11 10:17:14 EDT 2003

J.M. Taylor wrote:
> I don't actually use Windows, nor have I for...4 years now? (wow, it's
> like an AA meeting...)
>
> But I've been asked to give a security talk to our 62+ computer class
> (basically, how to use a computer for anyone over 62 years old) and of
> course they learn Windows.

I know it won't fly, but I'll say it anyway.  This is the perfect group
to push Linux on.  My mother-in-law is 62 and all she does in email,
browsing and some word processing.  They don't do the games and such
that most folks need windows for.

You protect them alot by not using Windows.  I still find all kinds of
*.exe in my mother-in-law's home directory, she claims she has no idea
how they got there.

> So since there's lots of multi platform people
> on ALE -- where do you go to get Windows patches?  Is there anyplace
> *other* than the apparently overloaded microsoft site to obtain them?  Is
> it an automagic patchy thing where they <shudder> scan your machine over
> the web to determine what you need and then deliver it?

So far as I know, this is your only and worst solution.  Does this make
sense?  Connect your vulnerable computer to the internet to patch it...

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...